Update May 2012: Competition data is back, I am happy again and re-joined KST, you can read the full story here: Why I re-joined Keyword Strategy. I’ll leave this post up for those of you that want to know how to replace your internal linking, for whatever reason, with another tool.
If you haven’t read yesterday’s post >Leaving Keyword Strategy – How to Back Up Your Data< I suggest you do so first as some things are so similar that I haven’t explained them here 😉
First the list of things you will need:
Some sort of text and spreadsheet editor, if you don’t have Microft Office, here two free alternatives that work just as well:
Plus you will need a plugin to take on your internal linking, my recommendation so far is:
- Seo Smart Links (free)
Ok, now you are all set and ready to roll!
- Go to your keywords tab in the dashboard and select it to show only keywords and urls.
- Put in ‘not null’ in the url-filter, this will give you only those keywords that have an associated url.
- Download this list as csv to your back up folder, better even to a new sub-folder called ‘internal links’ or similar and rename the file to something you will remember / recognize.
- Open file in spreadsheet editor and copy the two columns, keyword and url.
- Open new text document and copy in as ‘RTF’.
- This gives you now a table.
- Convert table to text by using ‘,’ as separator.
- Run find&replace all for ‘,’ and replace with ‘, ‘
- Copy and paste this list into ‘custom keywords’ field in SEO Smart Links.
- Deactivate and delete the Keyword Strategy plugin ;-(
Take a moment and go through your list of Keyword-Url pairings and check if all like you want it or if something needs updating / cleaning up before you copy and paste the list into SEO Smart Links.
SEO Smart Links turn up immediately, so if no internal links appear, check your settings 😉
A good guide for using this plugin (and recommended settings) can be found here: Unofficial Guide to SEO Smart Links.
Ok, between yesterday’s and today’s blog post I should have covered all regarding moving your site away from Keyword Strategy, anything else you want to know? Any questions and / or suggestions? Just leave them in a comment …
If you like this blog post and found it helpful, why not share it with your preferred social network? Handy links and bookmarklets above ^^^ 😉